Termites can destroy your home and your investment. We can help
Most people don’t even know they have termites in their homes until it’s too late. By that time, the damage has been done and they have no choice but to spend a lot of money on repairs and termite control. These tiny creatures cause billions of dollars of damage to property in the US every year.
If you’re like most people, the thought of termite infestation can send shivers down your spine. These little creatures can cause so much damage to your home and they can be so hard to get rid of! But what if we told you that termites aren’t such a big deal? That they aren’t as dangerous as you think and there are ways to get rid of them without spending a fortune?
Termites are small, winged insects that are related to ants. They live in colonies underground and they come up to the surface to mate and form new colonies. These colonies can have up to several million members! Termites are often called the “silent destroyers” because they can cause so much damage to a home without being detected.
Most of the time, termites stay hidden away in the walls or in the foundation of a home where they’re out of sight. They eat away at the wood from the inside, and by the time homeowners notice termite activity, a lot of damage has already been caused.
However, termites are fairly harmless to humans. They’re not known to carry diseases and they don’t bite or sting people. In some cultures, termites are actually considered a delicacy!
So why are these tiny creatures such a big deal? Well, it’s because of the damage they can cause to homes. A single termite colony can eat through an entire house in just a few years if left unchecked. That’s why it’s important to be on the lookout for signs of them and be proactive when it comes to termite prevention. You can build termite barriers and take other important measures to prevent them from infesting your house.
Termites are small insects that feed on wood. They are very important in the natural decomposition of wood and other plant matter. Their eating habits can cause serious damage to homes and other structures made of wood.
Termites are often mistaken for ants, but there are some key differences between the two insects. Ants have a narrow waist and elbowed antennae, while termites have a broad waist and straight antennae. Termites also have four wings that are all the same size, while ants have two wings that are different sizes.
Their scientific name is Isoptera. There are approximately 3500 known species. They vary in size depending on their species, but most workers are about ¼ inch to ½ an inch long. They have a light brownish color and their bodies are segmented. Their heads have two pairs of antennae and two compound eyes. A termite has two pairs of wings that are equal in size, but they are only fully developed in the reproductive. Male and female termites both have wings during their nuptial flight, but the females’ wings break off after they mate and start their new colony. The alates or swarmer of most species have black bodies with white wingtips.
- Drywood termites are the most common type of termite in the United States. They are found in every state except Alaska. They cause more damage to homes than any other type.
- Subterranean termites are the most widespread type of termite in the world. They are found on every continent except Antarctica. In the United States, they are found in every state except Alaska.
- Damp wood termites are not as common as the other two types, but they can still be found in some parts of the country. They live in damp wood, such as logs that are lying on the ground. They are slightly larger in size than other termites.
Termites are most active during the spring and summer months when there is more food for them to eat. This is also when they’re most likely to swarm, which is when they fly off to start new colonies. Swarms usually happen at night and they can be quite scary if you see one!
A colony of termites is divided into three main castes: reproductive, soldiers, and workers. The reproductive are responsible for creating new members of the colony. The soldiers protect the colony from predators. The workers do all the work in the colony, such as building the nest, gathering food, and caring for the young.
Worker termites are the most numerous members of the colony. They are sterile, wingless insects that range in size from ¼ inch to ½ an inch long. Worker termites have a light brownish color and their bodies are segmented. Their heads have two pairs of antennae and two compound eyes.
Worker termites build the nest, gather food, and care for the young. They are also responsible for excavating soil and wood to build the nest. Worker termites have a hard time digesting cellulose, so they depend on other members of the colony to eat it for them.
Soldier termites are larger than workers, and they have large mandibles or jaws. They use their mandibles to protect the colony from predators. Soldiers are sterile, wingless insects that are smaller than worker termites. Soldier termites have a light brownish color and their bodies are segmented. Their heads have two pairs of antennae and two compound eyes.
Reproductive termites are the only members of the colony that can mate and produce offspring. They are winged insects that usually range in size from ½ inch to an inch long. Reproductive termites have a dark brown color and their bodies are segmented. Their heads have two pairs of antennae and two compound eyes.
Male and female reproductive termites’ mate and then the female finds a suitable location to start a new colony. The female excavates a chamber in the soil and lays her eggs in it. She then covers the eggs with dirt and saliva to protect them from predators. When the eggs hatch, the young termites are born into the caste system and begin their roles in the colony.
Termites are helpful in the environment because they help to break down dead wood and other plant matter. Their diet consists mostly of wood and other cellulose-based materials. They eat wood from the inside out, which is why you may not see any damage on the outside of the wood. As they eat away at the wood, it weakens and can eventually collapse. This is good for our forests and woodlands.
While most people think of termites as pests, they are an important part of the ecosystem.
Termites are often called the farmers of the forest because they help to prepare the soil for new growth.
While they may cause damage to homes and other structures made of wood, termites are a vital part of the ecosystem. Without them, our forests would be overrun with dead plant matter. They help to break down this material, which helps to fertilize the soil and provide nutrients for new growth. In return, forests and other ecosystems provide termites with food and shelter. So next time you see a termite, remember that they play an important role in keeping our world healthy! (just not in our homes)
Pest control companies estimate that termites cause billions of dollars in damage to homes and other structures in the United States each year. As they go about eating wood, they can create tunnels and chambers that make the structure of your house weak and unstable.
Eventually, the wood damage caused by termites can make your house collapse. Even when caught in time, you may have to replace damaged wood. Left unchecked, they will turn your home into a pile of wood mulch.
If you think you might have termites, it’s important to call an exterminator right away. Exterminators can get rid of them in your home and help prevent future infestations. The sooner you get rid of them, the better.
If you have termites, it’s important to get rid of them as soon as possible. Here are ten signs that you may need a termite treatment:
- Something is crawling around your house – and it’s not a pet. If you see insects that look like ants but have wings, they could be termites looking for a new home.
- Your floors are creaking more than usual. They eat away at your floorboards and can cause them to become weak and start to sag.
- You’ve noticed small piles of sawdust near wood in your home. This is a sign that termites may be present and have been busy eating away at the wood.
- There are cracks in your walls or ceilings. Termites can cause these cracks as they tunnel through the wood in your home.
- Your furniture is starting to show signs of wear and tear. If you see lots of unexplained gouges or scratches, it could be from termites.
- You’ve noticed small mounds of dirt around your foundation with tubes running up the concrete wall. These are called mud tubes, and they’re created as they travel to and from their nests.
- There are swarms of insects around your home. If you see large numbers of insects flying around, it could be a sign of a termite infestation.
- You have unexplained water leaks. Termites can damage pipes and cause leaks in your home.
- Your home is feeling extra humid. Termites need moisture to survive, so if you notice an increase in humidity, it could be a contributing cause of termites.
- You see wood that looks like it’s been chewed on. This is a sure sign and means you should call a pest control company right away.
If you have any of these signs, you may want to consider a termite inspection, where a professional will check your entire home or building.
However, if you already have termites, you’ll need to take action to get rid of them. One of the best ways to do this is to call a professional exterminator. They will be able to identify the problem and come up with a plan to get rid of the termites. If your home has a serious termite infestation, they may recommend fumigation, which is a process where the entire home is treated with a gas that kills the termites. This is usually a last resort, but it may be necessary if the infestation is severe.
Another way to get rid of termites is by using chemicals. Chemicals can be effective, but they’re also very dangerous. If you use chemicals, you need to be sure that you’re using the right products and that you’re following the directions carefully. Chemicals can also be harmful to the environment, so it’s important to be careful when using them.
Termites are one of the most destructive pests out there. If you have them in your home, it’s important to take action to get rid of them. There are a few different ways that you can do this, and the best method will depend on your situation. If you have a small infestation, you might be able to get rid of them yourself with some of the methods described above. However, if you have a larger infestation, you’ll likely need to call in a professional. Whichever route you choose, make sure that you take action to get rid of termites as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more property damage they’ll do to your home.
If you think you might have termites, it’s important to call an exterminator right away. They can come out and inspect your home for signs of these pests. If you do have them, they will be able to recommend the best course of treatment.
Exterminators use a variety of methods to get rid of termites, including baiting and trapping, chemicals, fumigation, and heat treatment. They will also help you prevent future infestations by sealing up any cracks or crevices where they could enter.
- Baiting and trapping involve putting food in a trap that the termites will enter, and then sealing them inside so they can’t get out or take the bait back to their colony.
- Chemical treatments involve applying chemicals directly to the soil around your home, and they work by either killing termites that come in contact with them or repelling them so they stay away. A professional is usually recommended as they will know which chemicals to use and in what amounts.
- Fumigation is a method of pest control that involves using gas to kill the ant sized pests in an enclosed space, like your home. This is usually done by professionals only.
- Heat treatment involves heating the soil around your home to a high temperature, which kills the p.
Prevention is key when it comes to termites, and an exterminator can help you seal up any cracks or crevices where they could enter.
If you’re still not convinced that the treatment will work, you can always ask for a money-back guarantee. This way, if the treatment doesn’t work, you won’t lose any money. However, most reputable companies will stand by their work and offer some sort of warranty or guarantee.
These guarantees will usually last for a year or more. After the guarantee period, the technician will explain ways to prevent termites from returning and help you keep an eye out for any signs of them.
If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to ask the technician. They will be more than happy to help you protect your home from these destructive pests!
- Sealing up any cracks or crevices – By sealing up any cracks and crevices on the outside of the home, you are creating barriers and preventing termites from coming into any crawl spaces into your home.
- Don’t let wood touch the ground – If you have any wood on your property that is touching the ground or wood siding on the ground, termites will be attracted to it. Be sure to keep all wood at least six inches off of the ground.
- Remove Cardboard – Cardboard boxes are actually a food source and should not be left lying around the home. They can protect entry points in the home.
- Remove moisture – Termites are attracted to moisture, so be sure to repair any leaks in your home and keep the gutters clean.
- Use Pressure Treated Lumber – This type of lumber is treated with pressure and chemicals that help protect it from termites and other pests.
- Removing any food sources – If you have any food sources on your property that are attracting termites, be sure to remove them. This includes things like wood piles, leaves, and mulch.
- Keeping an eye out for signs – Be sure to keep an eye out for any signs of termites, such as mud tubes, wood that sounds hollow, and wings. If you see any of these signs, be sure to call a pest control company right away.
By following these simple tips, you can prevent termites from returning after treatment and keep your home safe from these destructive pests. Don’t hesitate to call a pest control company if you have any questions or concerns. They will be more than happy to help you protect your home from these destructive pests!